With laser dentistry, our dentist uses a laser tool to remove tooth decay and cavities from your teeth. At Advanced Dentistry, we also use dental lasers to perform soft-tissue surgeries like gum reshaping or removing oral lesions.
Dental lasers are precise tools that minimize trauma to your mouth when removing the decay. They do so by being more precise but less painful than traditional drills. Also, they remove more bacteria and sterilize the treated area to prevent reinfection. Overall, using dental lasers makes procedures quicker and more comfortable for you as a patient.
During a laser treatment, your dentist will first apply a numbing gel to the treatment site if it is not already numbed with anesthetic shots. Then, they will pass the laser over the treatment area in quick bursts.
Dental lasers do not emit harmful radiation, so you will not experience any adverse side effects during treatment. However, you may experience tooth sensitivity following your appointment, but it should subside within a few days. If it does not, contact your dentist to discuss other treatment options.
What Procedures Can Be Performed With a Laser?
- Dental cleanings
- Tissue biopsies
- Gum contouring
- Root planing
- Cosmetic gum recontouring
- Removal of tumors in the oral cavity
- Treatment of cold sores
- Tooth whitening
The Benefits of Laser Dentistry
- Treatments are more comfortable and less painful for patients as lasers do not produce heat or vibration.
- Minimal bleeding during procedures means less time in the dental office to recover.
- Improved precision from a laser means more precise periodontal treatments like gum surgery and root canal therapy that do not affect any surrounding tissues.
- The ability to kill bacteria and remove the infected tissue with laser therapy. This makes it an effective treatment for gum disease and infections.
- Less damage to surrounding healthy teeth and gums than with a traditional drill.
- More consistent results with a laser beam than with traditional drilling.
- Quicker healing times after dental procedures.
- Fast and comfortable fillings thanks to a laser’s ability to remove decay without removing as much of the tooth structure as a traditional drill.
- Shorter appointments thanks to the precision of the laser, which minimizes the treatment time.
When used by a trained professional, lasers are entirely safe. Get in touch with Advanced Dentistry at 9920 U.S. Highway 90-A, Suite 100-C, Sugar Land, TX 77478, or call (281) 494-5600 to learn more about how laser dentistry can benefit them and help them achieve a healthier smile!